Tuesday, June 24, 2008

harnessing the power of the 'lums

Hey you shineyshiney peoples,

I'm arranging the syllabus for a freshman writing course that I'm going to teach in the fall, English 125.006 (the evil double-0 that tries to kill 007 at the begining of Goldeneye) Writing Space and Place. I want to assign an argumentative essay, 4-6 pp, on arguing for or against the validity of torture as a device of the state. I am thinking of articles to include in the weeks before the assignment in order to build up to it, and I come up with "The Objectification of the Prisoner's World Dissolution" by Scarry from Body in Pain and "On the Torture of Others" by Sontag. But I'm stuck on anything in favor--does anyone know of anything? I imagine that Justice Scalia's book probably features a chapter or section on this, and I'll check it out, but if anyone can think of anything else off hand, I'd really appreciate it.


3 comments:

C Meade said...

you could just say "i don't have anything to say"

Jillian said...

ohhh christopher meade that video is pretty priceless.
i don't offhand know of any essays that argue in favor, but a lot of the essays that argue against mention the whole ticking time bomb theory, and i feel like they often/usually/sometimes? mention the names of people who have argued those scenarios. so maybe the anti- literature could help you find some pro-.
also, maybe shoot off anton an email.
peace, in the middle east.
~js

Jillian said...

also, this course sounds totally sweet, and i'm psyched that you're going to be teaching torture to a new generation of complitters.