Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Dreams of Ann Arbor

I have to say that I never thought I would. Where you can walk home from the bar. Sing karaoke and eat free popcorn. Go to the arb! Hang out with Chris and Pan Pan and Anton. Be happy most of the time. Walks after sunset. Walks AT sunset. Walk to a concert. Five million places to study. Libraries! Every book you ever wanted. Professors who care (Anton). People who remember that they like something besides career prospects.<-- (Chris, is this true?) No Erin Post telling me that theater never has a political position. No Duke grad students. (Unless they're the same everywhere.) You don't see the same people every two minutes. Chicago is kind of close. You don't have to drive to the gym. Not everyone is a blonde girl. No Ranji Khanna telling me that feminism is not about the empowerment of women.

I am afraid that I will have a bitter heart after six more years here. After six more years anywhere? Or maybe just in academia, but I can't imagine any other thing I'd like if not this.

Anyway, it could be worse. (It could be much better?)

8 comments:

C Meade said...

it is so cold and I pay more than $100 in heating bills a month

elsie said...

That helps : ).

Tell me if you hear of this book: No Future, and if it's popular there, too, and I'll believe myself that I might as well stay.

(This book that says that all CHANGE implies hetero-normative reproduction so anyone who wants change is complicit with oppression.) Supposedly a REALLY POPULAR IDEA around here.

C Meade said...

I'll ask about this book, Elsie. I've never heard about it but some friends just finished a course on hegel in the polisci department and I've heard them mentioning the normatives of production and reproduction

elsie said...

Ok, I think it's a queer theory book. But it sums up the program here pretty well.

Jillian said...

yikes. that book sounds scary. elsie i am so sad that you are so unhappy. admittedly, 7 years of academia and intense theory sound intensive and scary and maybe not so fabulous anywhere, but maybe it could be better? somewhere else? too bad anton is out of commission for advice right now. good luck lady.

elsie said...

Thanks, Jillian! Well, but then it got kind of cold here for a few days (3) and I didn't really like it and I remembered how the inside of your nose freezes in Michigan and how much that hurts.

Also, a friend and my sister pointed out that I could just drop out for all of next year and apply THEN and still be plenty young to start a phd program. So I didn't feel as stressed about The Next Six Years and I decided not to act. How are YOU?

E Post said...

I don't recall ever having said that theater doesn't take a political position. My area of research is political theatre, so this would be very odd. What I can imagine saying is that a lot of political theatre, theatre by Brecht, for example, does not usually present a single position, but weighs different arguments and positions on stage to present the audience with a set of paradoxes and questions. Theatre tends to ask questions rather than give definitive solutions. If theater has a political position, as it often does, I think it lies more in the debates it chooses to have or not to have, the questions it asks or doesn't ask.
So apologies for barging into this blog, but when I find that my name is posted publicly on the internet and misrepresents the kind of work I spend so much time and energy doing, I feel the need to correct it. If you make your blog public, please be responsible in how you represent people on it. Thanks!

E Post said...

And what makes me confused is that I've never actually had a conversation with you.